Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Etymology of "Daughter of Design"

Every time I see the fabulous Mr. Ron Ben-Israel he likes to say, "Hello, Daughter of Design, I am the Son of Cakes." (what's really interesting is that his last name actually means "Son of Israel" - sorry tangent).

I do get asked quite frequently how I came up with the name of my company and if there's a meaning behind it...and there is! I'm actually the daughter of a designer. My mother is one of the leading interior designers in LA so as far back as I can remember I've been surrounded by fabric, tassels, throw pillows, wallpaper, etc. Some little girls picked up Barbie's wedding dress from the nearest Toys R' Us while I used scraps of fabric and lace trim pilfered from my mom's warehouse to create Barbie's dream dress. I might have made little girl-sized wedding outfits too...and then forced my neighbors to play "wedding" with me daily (Roy and Eric, if you stumble upon this entry, thanks for being such great sports).

Actually I come from a whole family of designers, big sis' Kahi Lee is the ultra-talented interior designer on HGTV's Design on a Dime. Check out her site: www.kahilee.com.

So that's how I came up with the name and though I less fancy myself a designer and more of a planner, it's all relative. It is in my blood and my clients definitely benefit from my design heritage!



No comments: